If anyone has been reading since my Rome days, you know I find cemeteries interesting. Yes, they do creep me out a little and try never to step on the grass. But I was on a mission to see two famous residents of Edinburgh's cemeteries: Adam Smith and Tom Riddle. And I happened to see both of them on Saturday, my second day in Edinburgh. There's a little kirk (church) and kirkyard off the Royal Mile (the main thoroughfare in the Old Town, leading from the castle to the palace) that has the resting place of Adam Smith.
 |
| The church |
Now, I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to economics so this was a must-do on my list. So I circled the church, looking at most of the headstones for Adam Smith. I was getting a little frustrated because I couldn't find him, but alas, it was the last one I looked at. And his deathday was yesterday. So I found the father of modern economics and thanked him for it.
 |
| Adam Smith on the Royal Mile |
In the evening, I went to Greyfriars Kirkyard to see the inspiration for Tom Riddle in the Harry Potter books. This was just as hard to find but I did it. The name is spelled differently but my sources say this is where J.K. Rowling got it from so I believe it.
No comments:
Post a Comment