Saturday, June 9, 2012

Favorite Holidays

So my post the other day regarding National Running Day spurred some reaction for the best holidays. I love making lists and so here is my list of the best holidays**.

**Disclaimer: This is subject to change. I am known to change my mind. Also, there are a gazillion holidays out there so naturally I am probably forgetting one that I really like.

5. Arbor Day (last Friday in April)
What's not to love about trees?!?!? They are great to climb and cut down and look at and swing from and protect you from the sun. The state tree of Pennsylvania is the Eastern Hemlock. (Honestly, I have never heard of it.) Here's a pic:
from wikipedia.com
4. St. Swithin's Day (July 15)
So if you haven't read One Day by David Nicholls, READ IT. It is a great book that opened my eyes to the magic of this day. Here is the famous British weather proverb: 

"St Swithun's day if thou dost rain 
For forty days it will remain 
St Swithun's day if thou be fair 
For forty days 'twill rain nae mare"

I do hope it doesn't rain on St. Swithin's Day this year!


3. National Running Day (first Wednesday in June)
*see post on June 6th


2. Pi Day (March 14)
Probably one of the most exciting day ever. Pi Day is for all those nerds alike, most especially those math freaks (ahem, me). It is a day to get crazy--just remember to not drink and derive.


(drumroll please...)


1. Presidents' Day (third Monday in February)
So if your teachers haven't made you sick of Presidents' Day, it is the best holiday ever. It is the perfect day to dress up as your favorite (or least favorite) president. You can impress your friends by being extra-patriotic. It is great!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment